- SUSTAINABILITY, OUR DNA
- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
- SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY
- ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY
At Posadas, sustainability and respect are part of our culture and DNA. As leader in the Mexican hospitality industry, we have adopted measures and good practices that allow us to protect and care for nature and the environment, and to promote sustainable tourism. We care about our surroundings, and we are taking action to preserve natural resources, to maintain the environment, social well-being, and economic growth for the future. Local consumption is the foundation for developing the communities where we operate our properties, aiming to benefit the national economy and society.
These are the main elements that make up our Meaningful Travel program, in which we've established the foundations of a strategy that provides competitiveness and sustainability through the following:
- Compliance with the UN Sustainable Development Goals on their three main levels: environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
- Compliance with national laws in matters of sustainability.
- Caring for our guests' and staff's health and well-being.
- Transparency and ethical behavior.
- Respect for the interests of all involved parts.
- Compliance with legal principles.
- Compliance with international social norms.
- Protection and promotion of human rights.
- Supporting and participating in campaigns that seek to eliminate all forms of mistreatment, such as Spotlight, a joint program from the UN and the European Union that invests in girls' and women's equality and empowerment for the achievement of sustainable development.
We currently promote the preservation of natural resources and biodiversity through actions that contribute to the protection of the environment to guarantee necessary life resources. At Posadas, we take part in the fight against pollution and climate change through programs and brand standards such as:
- Low flow shower heads
- Low flow sink taps
- Water saving dual flush toilets
- Water saving waterless urinals
- High-efficiency, low emission water heaters
- Solar water heaters
- Heat recovery chillers for heating water
- Chillers with ecologic refrigerant gas
- LED lighting
- Air conditioning and lightning control systems in guest rooms
- Lighting control system in public and service areas
- Organic and inorganic waste separation program
- Waste storage and final use program
- Inorganic waste recycling program
- Biodegradable chemical waste use program
- Plastic reduction program
- Sea turtle protection and release program
- Green area protection and responsible watering program
- Eco-friendly transportation program (bicycles)
- Environmental management and normative compliance program
- Greenhouse gas recording program
- Water footprint recording program
- Smoke-free hotels
- Brand standard to eliminate single use plastics by 2022. This plan includes the elimination of plastic straws in resorts, and the installation of amenity dispensers (shampoo, soap, etc.)
- Efficient use of water and treatment plants through reuse for watering and cleaning of public areas.
- Green buildings: use of endemic plants, insulation for walls, transformation of breeze for air conditioning 'mainly at Gran Fiesta Americana Los Cabos
- Compliance of guidelines set by environmental authorities throughout project development and hotel operation
In order to achieve balance, we promote a responsible use of resources through a series of goals and strategies that involve human and material resources. At Posadas, we strive for economic growth and development under a clear institutional frame in which management, innovation, growth, gender equality, skill development, and non polluting technology converge. We seek long-term benefits with actions that start today.
Quality of life
- Staff training
- Work/family life balance
- Employee benefits above those required by law
- Career plan
Business and innovation programs
- Energy resources management and analysis program
- Energy resources savings operation program
- Circular economy of recyclable waste program
- Sustainable electric energy purchase program
- Residual water treatment and reuse program
- LP gas equipment to natural gas conversion program
- Recollection and use of vegetable oil for biodiesel production program
- Local product and service purchase program
- Corporate Government good practices
Fair operation practices
- We have an Internal Code of Ethics and Rulebook
- The company¿s policies in matters of anti-corruption and anti-money laundering apply to our staff, directors, and council members
- Sustainability policy
Process automation and optimization
- RPA (Robotic Process Automation): automation of repetitive tasks that allows us to save time and costs in the face of paper elimination .
- QlikView is a Business Intelligence tool that allows us to collect data and make better use of the information.
Our sustainability policy establishes guidelines for our projects: their sustainable development and operation, and an efficient, responsible, and sustainable management throughout the value chain, by ensuring:
- Compliance with the current legislation
- Evaluation of environmental impact
Responsible purchase policys
- Centralized purchases
- Supplier certification
For more details, find our 2019 annual report here: https://www.posadas.com/en/informacion-financiera#informes_anuales_director
Our hotels have been recognized for their good practices by several organizations:
On Environmental Sustainability and Health
- PROFEPA / Certification of Environmental Quality in Tourism This certification for companies in the Mexican tourism industry endorses their compliance with federal, state, and municipal laws.
- SECTUR/Certification S (Distintivo S) This certification for companies in the Mexican tourism industry endorses their sustainable operation.
- FEE/Green Key International This award endorses sustainable operations that are aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals and is given to hospitality companies around the world.
- FEE/Blue Flag Award This certification endorses compliance with safety, service, environmental education, and water quality standards at beaches, and is given to hospitality companies around the world.
- SECTUR and Secretariat of Health/Certification H (Distintivo H) This certification for companies in the Mexican tourism industry endorses compliance with hygienic food production standards.
- CRISTAL/Cristal International Standards This certification for companies in the international tourism industry endorses compliance with hygienic food production standards.
Awards For Economic Sustainability
- Recognized as a Socially Responsible Company (ESR) for the ninth year in a row.
- Work Atmosphere certification from Great Place to Work (third place in 2019, fourth place in 2020).
- Gilberto Rincón Gallardo Inclusive Company Award: this certification is given by the Secretariat of Labor and Social Welfare to endorse the implementation and operation of inclusive, egalitarian, and equitable policies that benefit employees in vulnerable conditions.